January 02, 2014

A Good Beginning

Sometimes a man needs a little encouragement.

He answered the phone roughly, I asked him out for a date.

"What's up? What do you really want?"

"I want to see a movie and I need a date (long pause) and you're paying."

Another long pause."Fine. Sounds good."

I wore a dress, as usual, and was overdressed, as usual. Why, oh why, do so many women insist on being "comfortable" over pretty? So many women were wearing what I would call pajamas. By the way, pretty can be very comfortable. A simple dress, with ballet flats, or cute tennis shoes can be pretty AND comfortable. The best advice I've ever received from an older woman, "Never neglect loveliness." (Lydia Sherman) I also like an older man's perspective too, "When females spend time, effort, and money on clothes and grooming and much time before mirrors, they tend to act more feminine. When they take shortcuts, they appear and act less feminine." (Sir Guy)

I recently ordered this dress online but had it custom made (at no extra cost) for "comfort." 


I added sleeves, raised the neckline and lengthened it to accommodate 
leggings underneath for a cold day...like today.



We saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was a cute movie, we laughed quite a bit. 
The theme of the film reminded me of that famous quote:

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." 
~ George Eliot

Afterwards, we quietly shared a pizza at Fondi's and then went our separate ways.

Nothing's changed, but it is a good beginning.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure *something* changed. Like a seed in the ground changing - you don't see the flower the first day you plant the seed. What a lovely dress. I agree with you on dressing up rather than down. I'm afraid I've been a down dresser since my high school days when jeans and t-shirts were the main thing we wore. I really need to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura, I was so happy to see your comment! I have thought of you a few times. My old computer died and I had just saved your Blog address to my favorites. So it was lost to me. I have just added your Blog to my side bar list! I would love to get to know you and keep in touch!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One has to start somewhere and this sounds like a very good place to start. May this be the start of something wonderful - it doesn't really matter how long it takes:))

    I am with you, lovely + comfortable is very achievable. Nothing worse than going out and feeling uncomfortable all the time. I now wear "sensible shoes" as I dislike sore feet (I think Laura, you and I have reached "that age"!!!).

    In my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS love your dress and the moderations you made:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do "lovely" so very well! Praying for God to work in his heart as well ~ Blessings to you this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being so open. So many of us have a similar story, and when we are in the middle of it, we feel as if we are the only ones suffering. I was separated from my husband of 14 years for 4 years! It was painful and hard and we came to the very edge of divorce. In that time, I came to know God as I have never known Him, despite growing up in a Christian family. I have grown to love and accept myself and to trust even when I can't see further than the next hour. There have been days when I hurt so bad that it felt like I couldn't move. But I did. With God. Miraculously, we are reunited and we celebrate our 19th anniversary this year. God is good. We are both changed people and we relate way better than we ever did. This is your story, Mrs. Santos, and you are never alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly for being such an encouragement and for sharing YOUR story. God bless you!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I find that when I look like a lady I am treated like a lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Laura Ingalls Gunn. I listened this song and heard the words more than ever before. I thought of your post here, Laura Santos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gab2Vuz2Nk It's Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight". Lovely. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sharon! Noah took Naomi for a spin on the dance floor. How fun!

      Delete
  8. Lovely blog post and lovely comments too! You inspire me in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my message got lost...anyway forgot to add that my husband and I also went to see that film. It has beautiful cinematography, especially of Greenland and Iceland. My husband wants to visit Iceland...and so do I :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so lovely in that feminine dress! Love it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...