December 01, 2013

First day of Advent


The children and I spent the first night of Advent
enjoying a beautiful presentation of  
Handel's Messiah.

I wore my red wool coat with a matching scarf that sparkled. 
What a festive night, with the cold blustery winds outside, and the overheated church stuffed to capacity.

We were happy to get single file seats in the aisle because of the overflow of people. 

The minister gave thanks that the most beautiful music ever written was about our God and Savior.
I agree with him.

My favorite part was the Tenor performing "Comfort Ye My People."

The reality of the scripture being sung truly filled my soul.

 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned:

The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, 
Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

As he sang, I thought of walking in the valley; 
sometimes such low times.
The mountain tops are far off, so high, impossible to reach.

Every valley shall be exalted!

I thought of being on the mountain; at the top. 
It will be made low. 
The heights are brought down for something, SOMEONE, greater.

It is so good to remember...to praise...to give thanks...for the good news of Christmas.

The fudge and cookies afterwards were also very pleasant.

Happy Advent!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Messiah is my favorite part of Advent, and also Easter season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...