December 20, 2013

A Comfortable Day.


A herd of elephants woke me this morning 
in the form of three children.
Here they are on the balcony of my room...
"It snowed! It snowed! It snowed!"



Not quite enough for a good snow angel...


But enough to make the woods behind our house 
mysteriously beautiful.


The road to our neighbors pony.


The Cozy Santos Cottage welcomed these rascals with 
a full breakfast: ham and eggs, cinnamon bread straight from the oven, 
and two full pots to warm their bones; creamy hot chocolate and jasmine tea.

Idyllic? Yes.

Yet, Middle Skittle complained. 
She didn't notice the warm welcome. 
Focused only on her loss, she came in with a protruding lower lip and furrowed eyebrows. 
"The snow is melting! I didn't get to finish my snow fort! I don't want to do school."

"Naomi, didn't you pray for snow last night?" I reminded her.

"Yes."

"And didn't the Lord answer your prayer?"

"Yes."

"Did you have fun playing in it? Did you have fun on your walk to visit the pony?"

"Yes."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes."

"Wouldn't you rather be thankful than complain?"

"Yes. But I want more!"

And there it was. Me. I was looking in a little mirror at myself.
Aren't we all like this at times? Focused on our "losses" rather than the constant provision of our Father?

Sophia commented on how cozy our house was with the snow and the nice breakfast.

God is the one who created us with emotions.
He made us to enjoy comfort and coziness.

When we feel these, Thank God. 

A little cottage and a warm breakfast is not the only way to experience comfort. 
It can also be a smile from a friend, the sun shining, sitting in a chair, 
OR,
closing our eyes and taking a deep breath in the midst of conflict. 

Can you see the comfort of God in the details of your life?

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights,
with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

He comforts us.

Let us also comfort others. 

5 comments:

  1. What a great post. We all tend to forget what we have been given. Thank you for the reminder of being thankful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! And true about our focus! So easy to lapse into what I don't have rather than what I do have....and only Jesus can bring out true contentment, I can fake it and pretend I'm happy and smiles while still harboring resentment inside (outside of cup and inside of cup, sheesh).

    Thankfully, Jesus doesn't mind constantly cleaning the inside of my dirty cup...

    I love the snow, but don't like driving in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every good gift!! I love that verse, I love it so much I just put it underneath a picture that I sent to my mom and dad for Christmas of the girls. Thanks for sharing. Such a great reminder. Love your little family <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't call our current weather cosy at all!! Its hot at 97F (36C) and I am trying to stay cool. I wouldn't mind some of your snow!! Your cottage looks so inviting and cosy and I can just imagine the smell of cinnamon toast and hot chocolate:))) Sounds so perfect.

    Yes, we need to comfort each other, especially at this time of the year when many people aren't as fortunate as others. And often our looses aren't as bad as others. My colleague at work told me on Friday that his sister-in-law was diagnoses with bowel cancer on Friday, she is 36 and has two young children. I need to praise the Lord for what we have as we are so fortunate.

    Blessings:))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good lesson to remember to focus on the moment and be satisfied. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...