November 22, 2013

Singing in the...




In keeping with the current craze to list "# of things you don't know about me" I thought I would share ONE.

I sing in the shower.

You too?

OK. I'll share another one, but you probably already know this, unless it is your first visit to The Times.

I enjoy making little songs from Scripture.

I recently wrote a tune using 2 Timothy 4:5-8. I like it. All the high notes echo nicely off the bathroom walls.

"But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, 
do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

There's something about singing a verse that helps me to meditate on it more closely.  Today, I was really struck by the seriousness of this passage. Every word of it is amazing, but I will just share two ways this verse worked itself into my day.

Story 1: "I have fought a good fight."

Naomi and Noah are sitting on the couch doing school. Both in 5th grade, they share a book for their reading class. Even days, Middle gets to hold the book while Brother is in charge of the remote. (A Beka Academy on DVD)

Naomi: "I can't see the book. Stop wiggling it!"

Noah: "I'm not! I'm gonna pause the class. You're talking too much and distracting me."

Naomi: "I am not! You talk too much! and You wiggle too much!"

Noah: "No I don't!"

Noah throws his arms up in frustration. Naomi slyly kicks brothers foot. The next thing you know, Wam! Kabaam! "Stop It!" and so forth.

Mother comes to break it up.

"Children! Are you fighting a good fight?"

"YEAH!" they shout in unison.

Mother replies, "No, this is not a good fight."

"What's a good fight?" asks Naomi.

"A good fight is when there is a death or the enemy flees."

The children exchange confused glances.

"You should be fighting your selfishness; or your pride, or your anger. Kill it. Put it off and put on mercy, kindness, love."

~ ~ ~  Have you fought a good fight today?

Story 2: "I am now ready to be offered."

Abraham and Isaac walk up the mountain. God has asked the father to offer his son as a sacrifice. Isaac, the son, carries the wood. At the altar, he allows himself to be bound; to be offered. His father decided; his son yielded.

Isaac's willing readiness for whatever his father wanted is AMAZING.

God intervened; he provided a ram. I thought...

Am I now ready to be offered? Am I willing to yield to whatever my Father in heaven decides?

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

Today was filled with the same pressures and conflicts of yesterday...even a couple more. The difference was my spirit was calm, as if I was walking up a mountain with my dear Father beside me.

Singing in the shower can really change the day's perspective!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Work..! Well Done..! Amazing ...! Congratulations :) I have nominated you for an award..!
    http://easycraftswithpaper.blogspot.in/2013/11/i-got-award.html

    If you wish to receive click on the link

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...