January 28, 2013

Names

I go by the name Mrs. Santos, but my first name is Laura.
 
It means "laurel tree" or "laurel crowned" and is symbolic of honor and victory.  I wonder if that describes me? Do I live a life of honor and victory? 
 
Not always.
 
 Many days I walk around "defeated and far from honorable."
 
I am thankful for my name and I must remember to live up to what I am called.
 
 
 
Sophia means "Wisdom"
 
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Psalm 111:10
 
 
Naomi means "Beautiful and Pleasant"
 
Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely. Psalm 147:1
 
 
Noah means "Rest and Comfort"
 
"Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied."
Acts 9:31
 
I love that verse. The churches had been persecuted and scattered. But then they had rest and comfort.  With the rest and comfort they were edified and multiplied.  How wonderful!
 
 
It is with great joy and hope that my children are surely growing into their names. 
 
Of course we have our growing pains, but God is faithful and kind.
 
I wanted to share with you how Noah brings rest and comfort to the Santos Times. 
 
 First, nine out of ten times, he is immediately obedient.
 
If that isn't rest, I don't know what is!
 
Secondly, he is a faithful intercessor and defender.
 
A little story...
 
One day our middle skittle was particularly naughty. 
I felt at my wits end and poor child, she was also at her wits end. 
It seemed to me that she was constantly making poor choices.
With poor choices comes negative consequences.
 
The Lord is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.
 
God used Noah to remind me of this truth.
 
I was tired. Naomi was overwhelmed.
 
With every consequence came her faithful brother.
 
"Mom, can Naomi come out of her room now?  She will be good."
"Mom, can Naomi have a snack? No? May I give her my snack, then?"
"Mommy, Naomi would like to play this game with me. Can she play now?"
 
He was continually coming to me on her behalf.  He didn't argue or beg.
His actions made me look twice at Middle Skittle and reevaluate my own actions.
My heart was softened.
Noah's love for her gave Naomi hope. She repented and was "saved" from Mom's consequences.
 
There was rest and comfort again at The Times.
 
"Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger." Psalm 8:2
 
Children truly are a blessing from the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. This was such a wonderful post. I have to tell you with my name being Laurie it means the same as yours. I have never thought about it "if I live up to my name". That really gave me something to ponder on.
    I hope you have a lovely Tuesday!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Joanne (I was named after my German grandmother Johanna) and it means "Gift from God", its a very special name as my older sister died at 3 months from cot death, I was born 18 months later and to my parents I was the most special gift from God - it can be hard living up to being such a gift, in particular when I was younger and naughty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful story about your name! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...