January 01, 2013

2013, here we go!

I was sick on New Year's Eve. I didn't get out of my pajamas the entire day and stayed in bed most of the time. Occasionally, I came out and added words to Sophia's Bananagrams, or clicked on facebook to like someone's greeting.  Early in the evening, I sat with the family to watch a movie.

At 11:50 p.m. we all piled into the car (in our pajamas) and drove to the dock where we watched the countdown and explosion of fireworks over the Seattle Space needle. That was fun. 

But, mostly, I laid in bed.

Since, I'm not a good sleeper, even when sick, I just spent that time in prayer. It was so wonderful! I loved it. I think I would like to be sick every New Year's Eve!

It was a good time to get everything hashed out with my Lord.  I didn't realize how afraid I was of the coming year. 

God doesn't tell us to "TRY not to be afraid."  He says, "Fear Not."  He doesn't say "TRY not to worry."  He says, "DO NOT worry about tomorrow."

How often I have said "Well, I'll try." 

Sometimes I have said, "I would, if you would just fix this, or if you would just get this 'thing' or this  person out of my life."

If those are my responses, what am I really saying?  I'm saying that I know what is best for my life, that I am wiser than God. (Forgive me Lord).

One of the things the Lord and I talked about were my New Year's Resolutions:

What do you want me to do this next year Lord?  What would you like me to concentrate on? Is there anything you want me to change?

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness.
First. Before anything else. Before being more organized, before exercise, before seeking to be a better wife and mother, Seek FIRST the kingdom of God.

When Jesus taught his disciples how to pray he said, "After this manner pray ye, 'Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done...

After coming to the Lord, realizing who He is (Our Father which art in heaven, whose name is Holy), we are to ask "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done..."

Not MY kingdom, not MY will...

Secondly? "...and His Righteousness."

Oh my, this is where I get caught every time! I seek my own righteousness. I try to be good and kind and patient, but the next thing I know, I am snapping at the children or being a nag to Mr. Santos. Jesus says, "Apart from me you can do nothing." He is the vine and we are the branches. A branch is nothing in and of itself. The fruit grows on the branch only because of the goodness of the vine. "There is none good, but one, that is God..." Matt 19:17

So that's it. That is my New Year's Resolution.

To Seek First the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness.  Wonder what it will be like? Wonder what I will find? and How it will change my life?  Can't wait to see!

5 comments:

  1. Amen! This is the *perfect* resolution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I loved reading this post. It was a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! Happy New Year to you too, Laurie.

      Delete
  3. I needed it read this today tnkx!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also up late during the New Year with digestive issues, and I spent that time writing in my prayer journal to the Lord ALL the worries and stresses that are on my mind. Little did I know that you were doing something similar where you lived. :)

    Putting Christ and His Kingdom first is something I am learning to do as well. Like you, I tend to let my "righteousness" get in the way. It's a life-long process to be sure . . .

    I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Take care, and have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...