June 04, 2012

Studying God's Word



It's that time of the year again, drilling, drilling, drilling the children in Bible memory for the Bible Bee.

The first passage on the list was 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

We memorize first by repeating it many times and then writing it out.  But what is most helpful for me is asking and answering lots of questions about the passage.

Here are some of the questions I might ask myself to remember the passage. The answers are mostly found within the verse itself.

1.)  How much scripture is given by inspiration?  All

2.)  How is it given? by inspiration

3.)  Who's inspiration? God's

4.)  All scripture is ________ and __________? Given and profitable

5.)  What does it mean that scripture is profitable? beneficial, gainful, useful

6.)  What is the scripture profitable for? doctrine, reproof, correction, instruction

7.)  What does the scripture instruct in? righteousness

8.)  Why is the scripture given? That the man of God may be perfect

9.)  How is the man of God to be? perfect

10.)  What does perfect mean? thoroughly furnished unto all good works

11.)  What does throughly furnished mean? having everything needed

12.)  What are we throughly furnished for? all good works

13.)  Which good works? all


Another way that we memorize scripture is to SING it.  This is good because sometimes the tune gets "stuck" in our head and we end up humming it all day long.  We also play games.  One fun game is to write the verses on the chalkboard and read the verse out loud.  Erase one word and then read the verse all the way through including the missing word.  Erase another word and read again. Soon, you will be reciting the whole verse with all the words erased.

Do you memorize scripture?  How do you do it?  How often?

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

5 comments:

  1. I have a very difficult time memorizing scripture. I shamefully admit, it's not one of my strong points. The techniques you are using with your children to help them memorize scripture I think are excellent. I could use the same course myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hopeless at memorizing scriptures and don't try anymore as I get stressed when I try. I just write down my favourites in my notebook (as I described in today's blog) and read them often and one day I might be able to memorize them:)

    You sound like you have found a range of methods that work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mara and Joluise~ Before I started drilling the children for the Bible Bee I had the hardest time memorizing scripture too. But, I wanted them to know it so much that I took a lot of time to help them do it. I didn't realize that while I was helping them, I also was memorizing. That is pretty much how I learn everything now. I "teach" the children what I don't know and learn in the process. LOL. God is so good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious way to study and memorize the word. I shall give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of Bible Bee before, but my best friend is doing it with her oldest child this year. The story of how Bible Bee came to be is so sad and beautiful all wrapped up in one. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...