March 10, 2012

Happy Saturday - Have some Cake!

I lost my camera. How it could get lost in a tiny 900 sq ft. home with very few hiding places is beyond me. The Lord knows where it is and I trust he will show me soon.

Until then, I am a little sad that I can't show you the picture of...

Warm spotlights shining on a happy row of  7 and 8 year old children.  They smile broadly in their matching black t-shirts, boys with slicked back hair and girls wearing braids. Some with tongues reaching for an ear, they play their violins, squeaking and creaking in unison simple songs like "Mary had a little lamb" or "Hot cross buns."  What sweet bows they made to the applause of proud parents.




Nor can I show you a picture of the yummy cake we enjoyed this afternoon with a pot of tea.  But, I can share the recipe!  I owe this recipe to my dear dear friend, Mrs. R.  I don't know how many times I have made this since she introduced it.  If you like nuts and caramel, you will enjoy this easy cake.


(not my photo, click for credit and another recipe)


2 cups flour
(I'm sure that any flour would work. I use fresh ground wheat)
2 cups sugar
(I usually cut the sugar to 1 and 1/2 cups. Also, I sometimes mix white/brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 small cans of mandarin oranges (drained)
(I have used one large can, 15 oz. of mandarins, peaches, or pears - NOT drained with good results)


Mix all ingredients together in one large bowl.  Be sure to break up the fruit so that all the moisture is released.  Pour batter into a greased/floured 9x13 baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees til toothpick comes out clean, 20-30 minutes depending on your oven.

In a small saucepan bring to a boil while stirring constantly

Brown sugar
butter
cream (or milk or half/half)

Pour this over entire cake while it is still hot.  This is a very sweet and rich cake.  We enjoy it with a cup of hot green tea or a glass of raw milk.  QUITE a treat!  Mr. Santos enjoys it with coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, this looks so yummy! I must give it a try, I believe I have extra cans of mandarin oranges in the pantry.

    I do hope you have found your camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the cake. No, have not found my camera yet. I gave up looking for it.

      Delete
  2. Hope you find your camera, I know how frustrating it can be. The cake sound yummy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...