February 26, 2012

Set your affections on things above

It's Sunday.

We are home from church.

The sun is shining! I am so thankful for it's happy rays. Sophia and Noah are outside in their coats (still winter) reading a funny chapter book about a boy trying to become a knight.  They are sucking on caramel apple lollipops and the chickens have decided to sit with them to enjoy the story too.  It is quite a picture.  

Little Naomi has been acting silly and wild lately; so much so that Mr. Santos accused me of raising "silly children."  I calmly (be proud of me) explained that she was trying to get his attention.

He has taken her on a little date to get a cookie and visit the book store.

And me? 

I am enjoying the warm house, the view of the children, and pondering the questions our pastor put before us in today's sermon.

What makes you want to worship?




What makes you feel secure?
What makes you feel happy?

When are you at peace?
What do you rest in for your good health?

What does your future hope lie in?
Where do you go for counsel and wisdom?
What about strength? Where do you get your strength?

What is your Trust in?


To be honest, I have a lot of answers for these questions. What makes me want to worship? I want to worship God when good things happen, when I see something beautiful!

What makes me feel secure? A lot of money.  A running car and a good job for my husband.

What makes me happy? Lots! Good food, good friends, crisp stationery, a clean house.

I'm at peace when everyone around me is at peace.  I trust in good nutrition and exercise for my health.

Yet all of these things are temporal.  They can easily be removed and then what? Is God only to be worshiped in the good times?  Job said, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:21

We were considering the text in Hebrews 12:26-28. See that you do not refuse him that speaks, whose voice shook the earth.  One day it will not only shake the earth, but the heavens also.  "And this word, yet once more, signifies the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made that those things WHICH CANNOT BE SHAKEN may remain."

Sometimes God shakes things up a bit in our lives.  We feel insecure, afraid.  Our health deteriorates.  The car breaks down and the bank account is empty.

Yet through it all...it is well with our soul.  Especially if Jesus Christ is the Solid Rock on which we stand.


God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Psalm 46:1-3

2 comments:

  1. What an uplifting, comforting and convicting post, Laura....Thank you *so much* for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I was convicted by the way the first question was phrased.

      Seems you have a lot going on in your neighborhood. I will be praying for you. Be careful with the packing. Hope you won't have to do too much lifting.

      I pray you will meet good, Godly people in your new place.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...