December 02, 2011

Poison

Are you bitter? Put it aside.  Throw it out.  Get rid of it.  How?  Forgive.

It's not fair. I want justice!

You are right. It's not fair. It's not fair that God would forgive us and not give us justice.

The wages of sin is death. That's justice. You work, you get paid.  You earn wages by what you do.  But the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus. Gifts are not earned.  They are free.

Who are we that God would forgive us?

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. Romans 7:18


But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; Isaiah 64:6


I once heard bitterness described in this way:  A glass of poison that we drink ourselves while we wish the other person dead.


Not only does it destroy us.  It destroys MANY.


Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Hebrews 12:15


How I need to hear and practice this daily. 


Sometimes I become bitter against my own children.  They disobey.  They fight.  They don't share their toys or do their chores and I get frustrated.  That frustration can turn to anger.  Then it can turn to bitterness.


It doesn't have to be that way.  Knowing the grace of God, I can give grace.


I don't give grace because they deserve it.  I give grace because I have received it.  Freely you have received. Freely give. Matthew 10:8


To your children, to your husband, to your co-workers, to the people in your church fellowship, even to your enemies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...