November 30, 2011

So does this mean I'm a Superhero?

When I was little I used to watch a show about these superheroes that were twins.  I liked the show because I was a twin.  The superheroes would fight the "bad guys" using their super powers.  In order to activate them they would say, "Wonder Twins Activate!" as they touched each other fist to fist.  One twin took on the form of water and the other twin took on the form of an animal.  Oh my goodness.  My twin sister and I would play at this for hours, pretending that we had super powers too.

That was a long time ago.It was a verse in the Bible that reminded me of that show.  John 1:12.  What a wonderful verse about the Power that God has given us.  Read it.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

How amazing! God has given us POWER. Power for what? To become an animal? No. To become the sons (and daughters) of God. So much better.

Do you know what this means?  I was so excited as I thought about it.

A son is an heir.  What belongs to the Father, belongs to the son.  The privileges, the stuff, the history, the future of the Father will be for the son.

A son has access to the Father.  Nothing stands in the way.  They can come and go freely in their father's house.  They can ask anything of the Father because of the closeness of that relationship.

A son looks like his father.  "Oh, you must be so-and-so's son, you look just like him!"  The more we obey the Father and do as He does, the more we begin to look like him.

I grew up without a father.  This fact has kept me from enjoying the great freedom and true Happiness in being his child.  I know there are some who hear the word "Father" and instantly feel fear, or hate, or disappointment.  But this Father, God the Father, is far above any human experience, even if you had the best dad in the world.  Getting to know him, really seeking him and knowing him personally (not just ABOUT him) has opened up a wonderful newness of life for me.

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

I am so thankful that I have this power.  Where does the power come from?  It does not come from me.  I don't decide to become a child of God.  God gives me the power to become a child of his.  It is a gift.  It is Him who decides.

and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Cr 12:3


It is written...

which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:13

He gave this power to them that believe on his name.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16


Have you noticed that the superhero never dies? 

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...