October 19, 2011

Fall Harvest

Hello! I have been offline for a while.  Life is so different without the internet.  It slows down.  Books get read. Relationships are deeper.  Quiet times are more meaningful because it is not just a pause in the race of life.  

The Santos Times uses the computer for almost everything.  We use it for home school, for entertainment, for research, to pass the time, to communicate, the music we listen to, even some Bible study.  When it is off - truly off - life is different.

The other night Mr. Santos and I sat in the living room looking at the children and at each other.  Naomi was working on a big floor puzzle.  Sophia was engrossed in a book.  Noah was building a road for his cars. 

We didn't talk.  There was no conversation, just a quiet looking at each other. 

Have you ever sat and just looked at your spouse?  For more than a minute?

Try it.  No getting up to turn on the T.V.  No talking.  No time limit.

If you are like us, you'll end up smiling, even if you started off sneering.

Laughing may follow, or smooching,

or both.


We are still enjoying raspberries at the Farm.  Just enough for a happy handful a day. A week of sunshine does miracles over here.  Thank you, Lord!

Raspberries must be eaten immediately.



Here is the pumpkin patch before we officially "opened" for business.

 The pumpkin patch "After"  We will be open until the last weekend of October, then harvest the rest for our friends and family.  We've also been able to give all our customers lots of fresh sunflower seeds.  Their children love finding them in the flower and eating them.

Those zinnias behind Sophia are still bringing me joy, especially from a distance.  The color is still there but not the beautiful flower. Most of them are ready to fall off the stem now.


Oh wait. One left. So lovely!



We grew pumpkins at home too.  Why? I don't know. Are we going to be eating 'pumpkin this' or 'pumpkin that' every day for the rest of the year? Probably. God is good. Did you know that pumpkins are rich in beta carotene, potassium, zinc, and many other nutrients?  Even the seeds are good for you.

Now, if only I knew how to cook them.  Always learning!

I saw this book online.   I may have to buy it!



We've been blessed to harvest several baskets full of potatoes.


And lots of onions and garlic.  I haven't taken the time to make it all look pretty, yet.  The garlic is very lovely and very stinky.  Mr. Santos has a home grown onion nearly every day.


Organically grown apples and pears were being sold for a "song" this week. We put up several bins in the shed.  They won't last long.

Even with all this abundance.  There is a greater harvest coming.

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Luke 10:2

~oOo~

And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
   And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped. Rev 14:15-16

4 comments:

  1. This is heartwarming! You are blessed with abundant harvest. Loved all the photos and the stories behind each.I enjoyed my visit. Thanks!
    I'm glad to see you back, Laura. Hope to see you at Tea Talk.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful fruit and veg...

    I love the 'sit and just look at each other'. Yes, sometimes we do that when all the kids are around us but busy at other stuff. And yes, we always end up smiling at each other. And maybe smooching too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much wells up in my heart as I read this, I can't even begin. Happy, sad, longing...but I need to be content where I am, in the mega-suburbs of Chicago. I will leave my longings with the Lord, and enjoy the beauty of this farm. May God bless your harvest time!

    Muy friend and I got quite a bit of garlic this year in the backyard garden we share. I peeled mine (the bulbs fell apart, so I had all the individual cloves), put them in a glass canning jar with a screw cap, and put that in the freezer. Whenever I need garlic, I grab a clove or two...they are not like rocks, you can still slice/dice/press them even from frozen. A blessing! I love garlic :-)

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment was never posted. Must not have gone through. :(. I'll say it again. I have so been missing you and glad you're back. Thanks for the "abundant" update. :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...