October 11, 2011

Communication that Pleases God

Part ONE here,  Part TWO here

We are controlled so much by the comments of another person.  AND, we control others with our comments.

Here are some practical things we can do for Communication that Pleases God. (taken from teaching by Janice McBride)

#1  The foundation for all Godly communication is humility, whether listening or talking.

#2  The person you are communicating with was created by GOD.  Only God creates life.  If God created this person, than he or she is valuable.  For God so loved the world...even the one standing right in front of you.

#3  Be respectful.  You can disagree without being disagreeable.  "Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory, but in lowliness of mind, let each esteem the other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

#4  Consider if the person you are communicating with is a believer.  We cannot have the same expectations of both.  A non-believer does not consider the things of the Spirit.

#5  Consider how long he/she has been a believer.   You wouldn't expect a three year old to be able to help you around the house as well as a ten year old, or a sixteen year old.  The same goes with your conversation. 

#6  If they are a believer, am I speaking to a carnal mind or a renewed mind?  Are they more interested in satisfying their needs and desires than doing the will of God?

#7  Why has God allowed this person into my life?  What does God want to teach me through this person?

#8  What character weakness is this relationship surfacing in me?  What character qualities does God want to build in me?

#9  Remember that my Peace and Joy are found in Jesus Christ, not in this person.  They may never change.  They may never see things my way. 

#10  Is it important that they agree with my point of view or am I humble and secure enough to listen to their point of view?  I don't have to agree, but am I willing to listen?

#11  Am I willing to admit when I am wrong?

#12  Do I speak the truth in LOVE?  So many times the things we want to communicate are true and right, but they are said in a prideful or mean way.

#13  Remember that communication is warfare.  "We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

#14  Remember that "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds." 1 Cor 10:4  That means that carnal weapons are mighty through satan for the building up of strong holds.  We don't want to do that!

What are the carnal weapons we use? Next post...

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware this was a series, for I have not read the other two parts. However, I think this is a good list to keep in our minds when we are communicating with others. It's something I need to keep in mind when I am speaking to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your new header, you blog is so pretty. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...