September 22, 2011

A sunrise

Ah! Sweet Satisfaction!  I am sitting at the dining room table enjoying a lovely cup of jasmine tea.  The house is spotlessly clean.  All the counters are cleared of clutter.  There is nothing on the vacuumed floors.  The pillows are plumped and the bookshelf is straightened out.  Yes.  It all looks clean and orderly.  Even the laundry is caught up and put away. There is nothing out of its place.

I sigh with satisfaction and sip on my tea.

Proudly, I think "It's not very hard to keep my house clean. I don't know why other people struggle so much."

Slowly, the morning sun rises shining through the dining room window and over the kitchen sink.

I sit up suddenly.  What is this?!  The light, a beautiful morning sunrise, is illuminating ugliness in my home!

A thick layer of dust covers the oven hood.  The back splash is covered with shiny grease spots.  The morning light reveals stains and dirt and hidden spills all over the cupboard doors of the kitchen.  The satisfaction I previously felt, fizzles away, especially with the revelation of piles of crumbs under my stove and fridge.

Shadows from fingerprints on the window glass dot my dining room table.  What used to seem so spotless seems so dirty now.

I am humbled. I thought my house was clean.  I am afraid to walk into the other rooms to see what the sunrise has revealed.  Dare I walk into the bathroom?  My bedroom? I can imagine the dust covering my dresser and the mirror.  I wonder why I can't see it at other times of the day?

I have a choice.

~  I can pretend that what the sun revealed is not really there.  In an hour or so the light will not be so direct.  The dirt and dust will be hidden again.  Better than that, I could just close the blinds.  I could shut out the light and not see any of the dirt.

OR

~  I can admit the truth. My house is not clean but I will do nothing about it.

OR

~  I can get to work to remove the dirt. No sitting down with prideful satisfaction as if I have arrived. No rest.

~oOo~


There is another light besides sunlight...there is SONlight: the light of Jesus Christ.

And there is another chance to choose.

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:19


No rest, I live remembering...


"not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Philipians 3:12



But when will I get to rest?  When will I get to sigh with satisfaction that the work is done?

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: Phil 1:6


For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 1 Thess 4:16





And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. Revelation 21:23

2 comments:

  1. What a good lesson you have provided us with today!

    As long as we are in these sinful earthly bodies, there will always be "dirt and grime" to clean from the surfaces. Therefore, we can't get too boastful about the apparent "clean spots" within our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...