June 13, 2011

What is your favorite food?

I used to day dream about having my own cook.  OK, I still day dream about having my own cook. I imagine myself saying "Cook, there will be five additional guests joining us tonight.  We would like to eat around six and Mr. Santos has requested an apple tart for dessert.  I'll be outside painting pictures with the children if you need me." 

Hahaha.  Well, it's no secret that I do not enjoy cooking.  But, I do it anyway because it is a surefire way of pleasing my family and being a help to my husband.  There's nothing like a six year old boy with no front teeth grinning from ear to ear over something you have made yourself; or, hearing your daughters say, "when I grow up, I'm going to make this every day."  This is truly amazing, especially because when I got married, I knew how to make scrambled eggs and boil water.  That's it.  Well, I think I was able to make a pot of rice too - but not without it sticking to the pot. 

However, cooking three meals a day for many years teaches you a few things.  I now can make several meals that taste reasonably OK, my rice never sticks to the pot and I even make my own bread.  I confess, however, I prefer a nice store-bought loaf of sourdough over my homemade bread any day.

I am teaching my kids to cook so that they won't struggle the way I did in my early years.

One meal that Sophia, age ten, makes (and we enjoy this at least once a week) is enchilada casserole. 

Ingredients:

(all items are approximate)

2+ cups of cooked beans with some of the liquid
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of salsa (or about a cup of homemade salsa, pureed)
2 cups frozen kernel corn

3 cups shredded cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese

18 corn tortillas

1 can sliced black olives OR
1/2 cup chopped green onions OR
both

Directions:

In a 9x13 pan soak the tortillas in very warm water.  While the tortillas are soaking, put together in a bowl the beans, sauces and corn. Grate the cheese.  Empty the water from the pan and layer six tortillas across the bottom. Top with 1/3 of bean mixture, 1/3 of grated cheddar and 1/3 of the crumbled feta. Layer another 6 tortillas and repeat.  On the top Layer sprinkle the olives and onions.  Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly - about 35 minutes.  We usually eat this with a raw cabbage salad and sour cream.  Mr. Santos adds extra jalapenos as is his custom.

~oOo~

Here are some other foods we enjoy:



This is quite a treat since we rarely eat meat, and Mr. Santos LOVES it.  Again, I serve this with a raw cabbage salad sprinkled with feta cheese and warm corn tortillas.  If we have guests, I will add some rice or beans.



Everyone at the Santos Times loves these wonderful muffins.  I make them with a mini-muffin pan so that they seem more like fat cookies.  In fact, Mr. Santos even requested that I make a couple batches for him to take to work.  As everyone knows at the Santos Times, you have ARRIVED if Mr. Santos requests to take something to work.  (note: I skip the butter topping at the end of this recipe.)

 This is my Summer candy.
One of our favorite snacks is organic fuji apples with peanut butter.

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Santos,

    I was unaware of the fact that you don't like to cook. I actually enjoying it, but there was a time when I did hate it.

    I couldn't cook very much when I got married either. I'm still learning as I go, and I am far from being a gourmet guru.

    I'm going to have to try those muffins. They look good. I don't have a small muffin pan though. I'll have to get one. My husband is fine with me buying new kitchen gadgets, as long as they are not too expensive. :)

    Lastly, your idea of your own cook was funny to me. I can just imagine you "ordering" a cook around the kitchen, tee hee. :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite enjoy cooking when I am not rushed. I like to try new recipes (I posted one that I made on Monday which was so nice) but get very disappointed when they don't work!!

    Some of my sons favorite recipes would include: macaroni cheese or tuna morney. They also love lasagna (but I don't make this very often), creamy mushroom and chicken with rice and a chicken and corn chowder (my DH doesn't like this though).

    I love baking muffins and cakes, but since I have been dieting I havent made as much.

    Teaching your children to cook is such a valuable skill, mine both love to cook so at least I know they will always eat well and healthy.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...