June 07, 2011

Psalm 23:2

This is Number 4 in the series "The Lord is my Shepherd" by Janice McBride

Several years ago I spent about four to six weeks each year ministering in churches in Scotland, the land of my birth. Words cannot describe the incredible rugged beauty of the Scottish highlands.  When I look at the tall mountains, I think of the power and majesty of my God. When I see the beauty of the hills and pastures covered in lush, green grass and the countless sheep, I think of the 23rd Psalm.

The sheep are not anxious or fearful about their needs. They do not worry about a place to live or food to eat or what to wear. They are content with the provision of their shepherd. God, through the shepherd, has provided them a beautiful, large home of valleys, hills and mountains. God created them. He provides plenty of food for them to eat. He also chose their clothes, a coat that grows thicker and warmer as the weather
changes and gets colder. The shepherd removes it in the summer because it is too hot and too heavy.

It is incredible to see how many spiritual lessons we can learn through sheep and God’s provision for them. Philippians 4:19 (NKJV) reads, “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

Beloved, if God provides daily for the sheep, we can rest in the assurance that He will supply all our needs. Christ died for us while we were sinners.  He will not desert us now that we are His children.

I grew up in poverty. I know hunger. I know the lack of proper clothing and holes in my shoes. For many years after I had food to eat, clothes to wear, and a home to live in, I still had a fear of poverty. Even as a young believer, I battled this fear, but God’s amazing grace brought deliverance and healing as I daily spent time reading the Bible and getting to know Jesus, the Shepherd of my soul.

Part of my healing came as I meditated on Matthew 6:25-34. This scripture told me not to be concerned about my food; that if God provides for the birds, I can trust Him to feed me. If God clothed the lilies of the field, I can trust Him to clothe me.

I teach God’s Word throughout the U.S. and in other countries. I meet a lot of people who are hurt, confused, angry, bitter and disillusioned with God because He does not supply all their wants.

Nowhere in God’s Word does He promise to supply our wants. He created us. He knows His plan
for our lives. He knows all of our needs. He is not raising spoiled, selfish, me-centered, demanding children. He is training and maturing a people whose lives will glorify Him and draw many to faith in Jesus Christ.

Anxious believers, can I speak to you? Please trust God. He will supply all of your needs. And nonbelievers, today would be a good day to surrender your life to the lordship of Jesus Christ. I can promise you that He will provide all of your needs. His Word promises us that He will never leave us nor forsake us. He knows our needs more than we do, and He is faithful to provide. Trusting in God’s Provision “He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.” (Psalm 23:2 NKJV)

— Janice McBride

4 comments:

  1. Yes indeed. If we are still and listen to the Lords quiet voice we will be led on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important to trust in the Lord, not 50% but 100% and when we do it is pretty amazing:)

    In Christs grace

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Jo....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...