April 28, 2011

Teach them diligently

We were sitting at the kitchen table.  The sun darted in and out as it played hide and seek with heavy clouds.  I was thankful for my yellow checked tablecloth which brought some Spring into the house.  Our lunch was  raw vegetables, coffee cake and tea.  We enjoyed the food and the conversation.

"Momma, how can someone have eyes but not be able to see?"

"Well, their eyes just don't work the way they were intended.  Children, do you know why God made your eyes?"

"So we can see?"

"Because HE sees. We are made in his image.  Do you know why God gave us ears?"

"Because HE has ears?"

"No. Because He hears. We have a nose because God can..."

"Smell!" they answer in unison.

"Yep. We have a mouth because He...

"speaks!"

"And we have hands so that we can work and create and love and protect like He does.  We have been made in his image."

"But, Momma, Why did God make some people without hands or with eyes that don't work?" 

"God does everything for our good and to teach us about Himself.  He gives and He takes away.  Do you remember the story about King David?  When Samuel, the prophet went to annoint him?  God said "for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

The children listened to my words through the sound of munching carrots.  I took a sip of my tea and then said,

"Oh and, do you remember the story about the woman at the well?  Jesus told the woman about God.  What did He tell her?"

They responded, "God is a spirit and they that worship him, must worship him in spirit and in truth."

"GOOD! Yes, and you are a soul with a body.  But you must be born again - of the spirit - to know God.  All of God's creation points to Him."

"I'm glad I can see, momma."

"Me too.  But even if my eyes stopped working and the world became silent because I couldn't hear, I would still be able to be with my Jesus.  I will always be able to know him and hear him when He talks to me.  He talks to my spirit."


And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:  And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.  Deut 6:5

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful way to explain this concept to your children! I am so glad that I decided to come here from L. Rose's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Simply Beautiful!

    "Me too. But even if my eyes stopped working and the world became silent because I couldn't hear, I would still be able to be with my Jesus. I will always be able to know him and hear him when He talks to me. He talks to my spirit."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...