February 23, 2011

God put us together, little one.

I didn't choose these children.  They just came to me this way ~ looking the way they look, full of strengths and weaknesses that I did not choose.

Well, they didn't choose me either.  They are stuck with me.  I'm the one they get, whether they like it or not,  to provide for them the nurturing, education and love they need.  Is it enough?  God knew all about my weaknesses before He sent them to live with me.  Am I the only one who thinks that parenting is the hardest job in the world?

I know these children are not robots.  I cannot program them to do and be what I want.  So why, after all these years, does their uniqueness still surprise me?  Their WILL.  It is so strong!  What a fierce desire for independence they have!  I see how they struggle.  I see how challenging it is for them to be under authority.

I know exactly how they feel.

The Bible says, "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

Sometimes I erroneously think that one day I will arrive.  I imagine that one day I will not struggle with the lust of the flesh,  the lust of the eyes or the pride of life.  One day I will be humble.  I won't have any fleshly urges, nor will I want anything because I will be perfectly content.  HA!

According to this verse, as long as I am living in the world there will ALWAYS be these struggles. 

So, again, why do I think that my children should have arrived by now?  The Christian life is one of overcoming.  It is a daily adventure.  Lord, help me to be patient and loving with my children. 


~ Mothers the World Needs ~

"Mothers with courage; mothers who pray,
These are the kind the world needs today.

Mother who think, who study and plan;
Mothers who laugh as much as they can,

Having the gift that is better than money--
The habit of seeing that some things are funny.

Mothers whose faith never wavers or falters;
Mothers whose spirits the world never alters;

Loving the right and scorning the wrong;
Facing the problems of life with a song.

Mothers whose bravery transcends their fears;
Winning the battle with patience and tears;

Never submitting to weakness or sin---
Storming heaven's gates till the children are in.

Mothers heroic, not guilty of whining;
Hands graced with service and faces with shining.

Mothers of purity, virtue and faith,
Steadfast in life and triumphant in death;

Looking beyond the dark pathway of sorrow,
Seeking a home in God's joyous tomorrow,

Leading the children; pointing the way---
These are the mothers, the world needs today!

-Kathryn Blackburn Peck

I read this poem the other day at "A Wise Woman Builds her home"

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem. I am savoring the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poem. Could I 'steal' it for my blog? I will, of course, credit you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to comment on the previous commenter too... at least on your name!
    What a wonderful name! Were you named Laura Ingalls because your parents had a love of her books, or because you're related?
    And are you a Gunn because you're Scottish? (One of our daughters has Gunn as a middle name, because it was Granny's maiden name). There are quite a number of Gunns here on this Scottish island on which we love, but I think originally they came from the Caithness and Sutherland area of Scotland - just a sail away from here!
    I hope I'm not being nosey.... names always fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Homeschool~ Yes, you may use the poem. and I'm glad you asked Ms. Gunn about her name because...

    Ms. Gunn~ I would also like to know? (smiles)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...