January 17, 2011

Just a branch

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples John 15:5-8


This morning I laid in bed an extra half hour.  The quilts were soft and weighty and I was so warm.  I took deep breaths of the air coming in through the open window.  The wind blew wildly around the tall firs and spruces.  Then, it rushed inside my bedroom and played with the pages of the calendar on the wall, kissing me on the forehead before dashing back out the window.

Several tree branches were strewn out on the lawn, victims of the heavy wind last night.

Sometimes we get so caught up in living our lives perfectly.  We love God and we want it to be seen in our life.  After all, 'you shall know them by their fruit.'  But let us take heed that we don't think any fruit comes from ourselves.  We are just branches.  Without the vine there is no fruit.

And is it REALLY fruit growing or just a lovely blossom? Fruit is to be harvested and eaten. Fruit is sliced open, crushed, or peeled.  It satisfies hunger.  Does the 'fruit' in your life satisfy the hungry souls around you?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

God does not look at the outward man, but the inward. 


My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. Psalm 34:2

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Santos,

    You're right, we can't bear any fruit without the love of God working within us. As humans, I think it is sometimes easy to think that we do things in our own strength, but obviously, we can do nothing apart from God.

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...