December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!


We have simple plans in store for today:  Eating Mr. Santos' favorite snack - crab and artichoke dip  - and sipping sparkling cider from fancy stemware we picked up at the thrift store.  We'll probably play a few rounds of "Go Fish" and watch It's a wonderful life. Santos Times tradition is to pop a few firecrackers before we go to sleep, but we don't always make it to midnight, (LOL).  I wonder, will this be the year that Jesus comes back?

 
2010 was a hard and miraculous year. First, it was miraculous in seeing how God provided for us.  It was an adventure working at a farm for four seasons - daffodils, berries, pumpkins then Christmas trees.  But it was also a hard year.  Life was often heavy and dark.  It wasn't really our circumstances.  It was my heart. 

Looking back, I believe most of my struggles were because of my pride and because my main concern was MYSELF. 


What a long list of resolutions I have for this new year. But the real important ones, I think, all fit under one word. And that is to DIE.

My new years resolution is to die. Die to myself that is.


I don't want to live for my own wishes anymore. I'm tired of serving myself and seeking my will and trying to do all the things I want to do. It gets tiring to be so self serving. Me, me, me. I'm tired. I'm sick. I'm lonely. I'm happy (now). I want, I need, I like, I hate...etc. It's nauseating.

What if I took this year and didn't care about my wishes as much as my husbands? What if I cared more about my children and their character than satisfying my desire for quiet or order? What if I loved my neighbor more than my schedule?

It's exciting to think about.  It's exciting to look forward to.


For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it Luke 9:24
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. Matthew 10:39


For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. Mark 8:35




He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. John 12:25

(all chickadee photos from allposters.com)

What are you looking forward to this year?

7 comments:

  1. I love your post. It's a great goal for sure and really something to think about. Sorry I haven't gotten in touch with you this week! I was hoping to have you over. Every single day was crazy busy. Unexpectedly busy that is, people dropping in last minute. We served big dinners at our house almost every night, it was fun, but I was done serving by yesterday, I need a break! I am typing to you from a hotel at the Fairfield Inn in Seatac. Todd's parents and mine fly out early tomorrow, so they are staying here tonight and the kids are going to enjoy the pool. Tomorrow should be relaxing, and I don't even think I will take down decorations but just enjoy the peace and quiet!! ;-) I hope your holiday was as wonderful as mine, but maybe a bit more relaxing! ;-) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post, it sure made me think and brought to mind John 3:30:

    He must increase, but I must decrease.

    Thank you for your wonderful blog I always feel so convicted and blessed when I come to visit your home on the web.

    Happy New Year!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Santos,

    I have never liked "New Years Resolutions" myself. They never seem to come to fruition. Your idea of putting others first instead of just serving ourselves is possibly the only "New Years Resolution" that we should be sticking to, each and every year, to help us become closer to the Lord.

    At any rate, I have been enjoying your blog over the years. You've always been a great friend, and I pray that we shall become better friends as the years pass.

    Take care Dear Sister, and have a wonderful but simple New Year celebration with your family. :)

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post and thank you so much for sharing. I love reading your blog and looking forward to reading it throughout 2011.

    So many blogging ladies have mentioned "it's a wonderful life" I have decided to order it and watch it. I can't wait to watch it.

    Happy new year

    Dear logging friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful, beautiful post to ring in my New Year...thank you!
    And, may God grant you every grace needed in order for you to grow in the ways that you are seeking, my friend. You are a blessing and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a late response. Mike and Mo are out and Wally is asleep, so I have time.... We always watch it's a wonderful life. every year. Not on the same day though like you. Both Mike and I cry every single time. It is his all time favorite movie, though he has lots of faves. We had neighbors over for games and made it to the New year. Everyone was pooped. Mo and Wally woke up to our screaming and banging on pots and pans. They slept in our bed with us. A great time. Yummy food. Good company. So, when are you going to write your next chapter on meeting Mr. or Mrs. Difficult? Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies for your comments. Amazing how once you make a resolution temptations arise. Every time I turn around I am faced with myself and pleasing myself or not. Looks to be a challenging year!

    Michele~ I also thought of that verse when posting. Thank you for including it in your comments.

    Cheri~ sounds like you had a happy and peaceful celebration. Hope you got rested up this last week. I don't know about my next chapter...so much to post, so little time. LOL Love you too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...