November 04, 2010

Meeting Mr. or Mrs. Difficult

Since I was a child, there have always been "hard to please" people in my life.  No matter what I did, it was never good enough. 

I wish someone would have told me this is a fact of life, because it is.  We live in a fallen world where selfishness rules and from the day of birth we will meet the "hard to please", the "always grumpy", and the "never happy."  Their name is Difficult.

Travelling down life's road, with all our plans laid out, one of these difficult people eventually cross our path.  When this has happened to me, (for most of my life) I just got on another road.  For a long time, I commonly turned left onto Self Pity Lane.  I met lots of "why's" on Self-Pity Lane: Why-me, Why-now, Why-not. These "why's" seem friendly enough. But, they are wolves - ravenous wolves. They take all of your food, your time, and your energy.  In the end, I found myself hungry, tired and in tattered rags.  One day, I realized that Sef-Pity Lane was circular and there was no exit - only an entrance.  I cried out, and a strong arm reached down and put me back on My Life's Road.

Once back on track, I would still meet with difficult people.  A few times I tried using a big heavy stick to  get rid of them.  Guess what happened?  The whack came right back on me.  Every time I lunged out to strike, I would get hurt.  I'd lick my wounds and the "why's" would call me back to Self-Pity Lane.  NO. I won't go back!  I'll get rid of this person more gently, I thought.  Getting close to Difficult, I would gently push. When that didn't work, I would push harder. But he (sometimes she) would not budge.  So, I would turn onto another road again.

Are you like me?  Do you just want to get going down Life's Road and forget about these Mr. or Ms. Difficult's?

I've gone down Bitterness Boulevard, Hate Street, Anger Drive.  They all lead to nowhere.  Then, one day, back on My Life's Road all I could do was find a resting spot.  I couldn't pass.  Difficult was there again and she was causing all sorts of ruckus in my life.  I happened to be sitting beside some still water.  I looked down and saw my reflection.  I started back in shock!  Who was that in the water? It looked just like Difficult, only it was me.

All the qualities that made Difficult so difficult were in me.  I was overwhelmed, humiliated, and confused.  I had lived so long thinking of myself as a victim of these difficult people. I had thought so long that My Life's Road would be a great place to be if I never saw another Difficult again.

Without a solution, I cried out!  This time, it was not a big strong arm that saved me, it was a still small voice - strong and clear and kind.   

He said unto me, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

"I don't know how to do this," I said. "Look at me, I am Difficult."

"I will help you. I will never leave you or forsake you.  Let's go down your road together."



"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it." Rev 2:17

3 comments:

  1. I have been down those same roads in my life time but these days I pray hard and long before I enter Angry Avenue, Difficult Road or Stress Street etc... As this is when I say things that I shouldn't and when I do not behave like a Godly wife. I love the way you have written this, it gets the message across really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Laura. I am difficult. You wrote about me. Love you sister. I needed this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...