November 16, 2010

Opposites Change Us

The children and I sometimes play "The Opposite Game."  I say a word and they tell me the opposite.

Momma: "IN"
Children: "OUT"

Momma: "UP"
Children: "DOWN"

It struck me the other day that we would not even know what "in" was if we had never been out.  We would not know light, if we never experienced darkness.

And so it is with our character also.  Kindness is never more obvious than in the presence of meanness.  Love shines next to hate.  Strength towers over weakness.  Wealth is extreme next to poverty.

Do you have struggles in your life?  Could it be that God is trying to change you into the opposite of your experience?

I couldn't sleep last night.  I laid in bed for hours, my eyes closed, but my mind wide awake.  I was so tired but just couldn't sleep.  I turned to look at the clock glowing in the night.  It was almost 2:00 in the morning.  I started to panic.   I had to be up at 4:30 a.m.  Even if I fell asleep that second, I would only get two and half hours of sleep. I imagined my headache.  I imagined my sore muscles.  I felt overwhelmed with weakness. 

But then I thought, "What is the opposite of weakness?"

Strength.  "The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places." Hab 3:19.

How can I know that God is my strength, if I am never weak?  How can I know that God is my provider if I never have a need?

Am I a kind person?  I find out when I run into meanness.

Am I generous?  I find out when there is a need presented.

If you are struggling or suffering take courage.  Have hope.  God loves you and wants you to know Him and His Greatness.  The question you have to ask yourself when suffering is "Do I want to know Him and His Greatness? or do I just want to stop suffering?"

These truths help me.  May they refresh you too.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 2 Cor 12:9-10

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: Romans 5:3-4




For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [and] eternal weight of glory; 2 Cor 4:17


Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Heb 12:11

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Santos,

    You made a very interesting observation in regards to opposites. I don't think I had ever thought of opposites in quite this manner until you mentioned it. Thanks for sharing. This gives me something to think and ponder about.

    Blessings,

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Santos, Very insightful post. You know Daniel, my son. When he was going through a formative period, I began to pray this prayer for him, "Lord please make him the man You want him to be." That was some years ago. As I prayed that prayer for him, a gentle prodding persisted,"How about you, do you want to be the "{woman He wants you to be?" So as I pray that for myself, there have been difficult changes. Through it all the Lord has been faithful. It sounds like that same process is happening to you. God is making you the woman He wants you to be. Thank you for sharing, Love, winna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so good! Lots of food-for-thought, especially this part:

    The question you have to ask yourself when suffering is "Do I want to know Him and His Greatness? or do I just want to stop suffering?"


    Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...