August 18, 2010

Treasure hunting

Investments. Just like planting seeds. You hope for a return. Time. Money. Sweat. Hope. All this investment. Into what?

Chores and other tasks?

The house?

Your job?

Your children?

You hope for a return. A return on your investment. Some sort of fruit in the end.


If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. Colossians 3:1-4



I ask myself these questions as I lay in bed at night...when I am worried over financial issues, or upset because I didn't accomplish anything on my list, or provoked by someones lack of attention or kindness to me, or confused....just confused.


Where is my heart? What have I set my affection on? When I think about Christ, who is my life, the financial worries fade. He always provides for me.

Does checking off my list matter more than how I treated my neighbor or my loved ones today?

Did I provoke anyone or act rudely?


For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matt 6:21


But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. 2 Cor 4:7
What is this treasure? The Bible calls it the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
When we practice for the upcoming Bible Bee we do the what?when?where?how?why? test to try and memorize scripture.
What is the treasure? knowledge
of what? the glory of God
where is it found? in the face of Jesus Christ
Been treasure hunting lately?

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you posted the scriptures from Colossians 3:1-4 as well as Matthew 6:21, for I have been reading as well as thinking about these scriptures this week.

    I honestly need to read the scripture from Colossians every single day to remind me that my affection needs to be heavenward and not so much on the things of this world. However, it's a difficult lesson for this "hard head."

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Rose~it's difficult for all of us. It's usually when I am stressed out that I remember to set my affection on things above...on eternal things.

    God is so good to command us to do this because it brings peace...a bigger picture than "That fridge is such a mess!" or the emptiness that Wanting brings.

    All of his commandments are for our benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...