August 30, 2010

A story (part one)

Once upon a time there was a young woman, named Joy, working hard to please her family. On this day she was making cookies. Oh they smelled delicious! Out of the oven they came and they were perfect.



She was so happy and thought joyfully how her family would relish the cookies. She also tried to think of who else might benefit from a plate of them.



But lurking in the shadows was an enemy. He was a dark and sinister liar. He wanted to destroy this woman AND her family. For many days he had been watching her happy service and it made him sick...all that smiling and peace. How he hated her. She was so bright and shiny...He wanted to snuff her out.


He knew just the trick. He dialed up a local gang he knew - some tough guys who could get an ugly job done quick. The enemy didn't want to waste any time. All the light flowing from this young woman was drawing people closer to the True Light that lighteth all men. The sooner he snuffed her out, the better.


He called up Criticism. "Hey, I got a job for you. I need it done quick. Bring whoever you need. She has a lot of protection and I think you will need some back-up."


Criticism called his buddies Anger and Hate. They loved doing jobs with Criticism. The three of them together were very successful. The people they snuffed out were often so injured they could hardly look up.


The gang showed up and attached themselves to Joy's husband. He was tired that day and not aware of the dangers lurking about.

"Hi honey. Welcome home." Joy said, full of joyful anticipation.

"Yeah. I'm tired today."

"How 'bout some tea and cookies?"

"Whatever. Thanks"

Joy made a pot of tea and brought out a little dish of cookies. She placed them on the table for her husband to enjoy. He sat down at the table heavily. True, he was tired, but he also had the extra weight of the "gang" on his shoulders.

"What's this? Are these chocolate chip cookies?"

"Yep." Joy replied with a smile.

"You know I don't like chocolate!" He spied the platters that Joy had prepared to share with the neighbors. "What are you doing? Feeding the whole neighborhood? What do you think, I'm made of money? I wish you would just think once in a while!" He shoved the plate away and went to take a shower.

Joy had taken a big hit, low and hard, right in her stomach. She fell back and tried to catch her breath. Criticism and his gang gave a sinister laugh.

Anger and Hatred were ready and waiting to get their claws into Joy. If they could then they could easily attack Joy's husband and children. But, unfortunately for them, Joy was wearing the belt of truth. While it was a heavy hit, the belt protected her and she was able to stand up again. Joy quickly unwrapped the platters and put the cookies in the cookie jar, submitting to her husband.

Dinner simmered on the stove, so she called the children to set the table and got her recipe book out. She had used all the butter, but there were a few bananas in the fridge and she knew that her husband would enjoy some banana bread. She set to work right away.

Anger and Hatred were frustrated. "Hey Criticism, we are gonna need a lot more help. She's wearing armour!" Criticism thought for awhile. "I know, call up Murmurings and Disputings...hey get Unthankful to come over too. The boss wants this job done quick. We don't have any time to lose."

Unwittingly, the children hummed while they set the table. Joy made banana bread with a humble heart. When her husband got out of the shower and saw her submission, he was convicted by his harsh behavior. He kissed his wife and tousled the children's hair. Peace reigned in the home.

But reinforcements had been called from the dark side...would the light be snuffed out? The shadows loomed...

(...to be continued)

8 comments:

  1. This is a sad story. It makes my heart ache for Joy. It reminds me of struggles and weight and sighs. I enjoyed your writing skills though, and I will be waiting for part 2, and 3, and 4, and 5, and 6...and so on. I have a feeling that some parts will be triumphant, but that everyday a new part could be written. Also, this story makes me pray for strength. And love.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am waiting eagerly for the next installment. We all can relate to this, can't we? Sometimes we are Joy, but I fear many times we are gang members. Your post, and your blog, are so uplifting. Thank you for the gift.

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I can relate to this story, I love it by the way, it is fantastic and inspiring and encouraging!
    You are amazing Laura, such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa~ I guess it is a sad story in that we can be used by the enemy to really destroy others (even in addition to our own sinful lusts) But I was really ministered to when I heard this story because I am so inclined to point to certain people as my enemy even though the Bible is clear that we do not war against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities. What I forget is that I can't fight that war in my own strength.

    Hi Stacey, Hi Ana~ Thank you for the encouragement.

    And I'm so glad you all are looking for the next installment...I am too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Santos,

    I enjoyed reading your story. I can't wait to here the rest of it.

    BTW, I wasn't aware of the fact that the Lord had given you the gift of creative writing. :) You need to share this side of your personality more often. :)

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's powerful! I can't wait for installment no. 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment, Amanda.

    This story is just an attempt to put a different perspective on a Christian families struggles. But the idea was taken from two really awesome classics. "Hinds Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard and "Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Have you read those?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs Santos, I have read Hinds Feet in High Places about 14 years ago, as a new Christian.

    This book keeps coming up lately, so perhaps I am being nudged by the Holy Spirit to read it again?!

    I also have Mountains of Spices (I think the title is) a sequel to Hinds Feet. I haven't read that one yet... it has been on my bookshelf for a couple of years! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...