July 07, 2010

Tough times?

God's desire for us is not that we would just know him in theory, but to REALLY know him.


And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Cor 15:49
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18


It is one thing to know God is our strong tower, but another thing to have the flood waters rising all around. It looks as if you will drown because there is no where to go. You run to God, the last resort and find that it is TRUE, God is a strong tower in time of trouble.

Life is hard. The Bible tells us that in this life we will have tribulation, but to take courage because Jesus has overcome the world. It's in the furnace that the impurities come to the surface and then they can be removed.

Are there people in your life who treat you unjustly or cruelly? There are in my life. Sometimes I pray that God would get them out of my life, that calamity would befall them, that they would see how horrible and cruel they are...

But still they remain. Still they provoke and intrude upon me. And through it all ~ all these years ~ I have been able to see that my struggle is not so much with them as with the hatred and bitterness in my own heart. I like to hate these people. I have long logical lists of why they should be destroyed.

God is intimately acquainted with all my ways. He knows all about my struggles ~ not just with these people, but with raising my children and managing our meager budget.

Through all of this I turn to God. He is my strength. He is my provider. He is wisdom and understanding and light when all around me is dark and confusing. The tough times show me his greatness and my weakness.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 2 Cor 4:6-9


For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Cor 4:16-18


Tough Times? Take courage. God wants to show you what a Great and Mighty God He is...for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...