July 13, 2010

Mystery Solved



Every day the children go out to the garden to pick some lettuce for our salad. And every day a little black capped bird flitters and flutters about angrily. There was a nest hidden in the lettuce bed. This was the SECOND nest we had found on the ground. The first one was found under a thorny blackberry branch. Unfortunately, it was discovered by a local dog and destroyed.

"It's a chickadee's nest, Mom." The children insisted.

"Nope. Can't be. Chickadees make their nests at least a meter off the ground."

"It IS, Mom." Look at the eggs. White with brown specks. Look at the nest. Looks exactly like a chickadee nest."

"But why would a chickadee put it's nest in the ground?" Mom wondered.





Then I remembered some pictures Sophia had loaded on her own blog. We went to look at them. It was not a chickadee. After some research we found that this was a Junco. Their eggs look just like chickadee eggs and they make their nests in the ground. Isn't homeschool great?!





(this photo of the eggs is from flikr - all other photos by Sophia Santos, age 9)




And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
Genesis 1:20-23

7 comments:

  1. That is so cute, Mrs. Santos, your photos are stunning! I love that you spend time outdoors with your kids, it's inspiring, living in the big concrete jungle makes me homesick, I miss he mountains, seeing the volcanoes every morning and having a garden. Thanks so much for sharing with us!
    Hugsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana~ I sent you some pictures from Luigi's recent visit to El Salvador. No volcanoes though...sorry.

    Loves,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia,
    You are an outstanding photographer. I hate having pictures of myself taken, but the next time I see you I'll ask you to take my picture because I know it will come out good.

    Love you.
    Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Santos,

    I really like how you encourage learning with your children in the natural outdoor environment. Your children are learning SO much. I am proud of you. :) I wish that I could visit your homeschool environment so that I could learn from you. :)

    ~Mrs. Lady Sofia~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa ~ Sophia was really encouraged by your comment. She is working on getting her own blog launched soon.

    Mrs. LS~ thanks for being proud of me (smiles and hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh...loved those finds. They're precious moment, natures lovely surprises. That's one thing we are missing living in a big city! You are blessed to have those experience. Your children are learning a lot!

    God bless you more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Mrs. Lady Sofia,

    Thank you for visiting my blog. I've been wanting to pay you a visit but there was no link to your blog. You mentioned you found my blog thru Mrs. Santos so I thought of leaving a note for you here. I believe Mrs. Santos wont mind :-)

    Blessings to you! hope to visit you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...