May 27, 2010

Coconut Oil


The Santos Times has always promoted the use of Coconut Oil...but recently we have fallen in love. I have yet to learn how to cook and bake with it. I don't really use oil when I cook ~ water for cooking and butter for baking ~ so I forget to use it, but I will soon be incorporating it more in our diet.

For now we use it as a moisturizer. It is wonderful. I use it on my face and body and in my hair after a shower. It is also a mild sunblock. I eat it by the spoonful. LOL. I love it. It tastes wonderful, and it has helped in giving me energy and making me feel full in the morning (I take it at breakfast).

Have you had your Coconut Oil Today?

Here's a clip from a recent article I read:

"Coconut oil is another healthy saturated fat that contains many properties that
are beneficial to Candida sufferers which are anti-bacterial, anti-viral and
anti-fungal. It also kills off yeast overgrowth. Coconut oil supports immune
system function, supplies important nutrients necessary for good health and
improves digestion and nutrient absorption.

The fat in coconut oil is easily digested and absorbed, unlike the newfangled trans fats that act like plastic in the body. It puts little strain on the digestive system and provides a quick source of energy necessary to promote healing. Coconut oil is absorbed directly from the intestines into the portal vein and sent straight to the
liver, whereas other fats require pancreatic enzymes to break them into smaller
units.

Look for unrefined coconut oil, since most commercial coconut oils are refined, bleached, and deodorized. It is highly resistant to spoilage and has a long shelf life (up to 2 years at room temperature). Coconut oil has a high burning point and is a perfect oil for cooking. Coconut oil can be taken by the tablespoonfuls with meals to aid digestion. A good therapeutic dose is 1 to 2 tablespoons with fat containing meals."

Bee Wilder, Nourished Magazine via Food Matters

3 comments:

  1. I am not falling in love with coconut oil. Mom makes me take it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious my neice. You make me laugh.

    I don't know about eating something you put on your body - I mean, I had my mouth washed out with ivory soap once or twice as a kid (ask your mom about it) and it didn't taste good - in fact it tasted distinctly like soap - so I'm not sure about this either, but I like hearing any tips on things to make my skin better so I'm off to buy coconut oil this weekend.

    Love you,
    Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia and I had a nice talk reminiscing (sp?) of childhood. Let us know how the Coconut oil works out for you. Remember to buy organic and virgin unrefined.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...