April 23, 2010

Happy Homemaking

Yesterday afternoon, the girls and I took all our blankets and quilts to the laundromat. How pleasant it is to crawl into a fresh and clean smelling bed. Naomi had been sulking again about her room - wanting a new bed spread, and a new this and a new that.

We have a motto at the Santos Times - don't want, don't wish, just be thankful. The key to a happy home is a thankful heart.

Sometimes this is easier said than done.

I suggested that we could trade bedspreads for a while. "Really, Mom?"

"Yeah, give me your quilt and you can use my quilt and shams," I said.

A simple little change like that made her day and satisfied her decorating itch.

Sophia and the "new" bedspread after the switcheroo.

My "new" bedspread. Rearrange some things in your house and make sure they are clean and neat. This is the cheapest and easiest way to "decorate."

~oOo~


We only live five miles from the grocery store. This can be good and bad ~ bad if you have a habit of running to the store every time you get a craving for something. Food cravings are hard, are they not? Sometimes, you are just in the mood for a particular thing and it is the only thing that will satisfy. But who's in charge of this body and these taste buds anyway?


Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 1 Peter 2:11

SO, I had some overripe bananas that I had put 'aside'. I wanted to make banana bread. When I finally had a minute to put it all together, I found out someone had eaten my bananas! Well, they did leave me one, but what could I do with one banana?

I almost got myself into my car and drove to the store. I knew that I would come home with much more than bananas...so I determined to stay home and make due. I got out my recipe and finagled here and there. There was some raw cacao and unsweetened coconut in the cupboard.

We had hot "chocolate, coconut, banana bread" with Jasmine tea.
HA! I did not satisfy my banana craving...but the rest of the family LOVED it and gobbled the whole loaf that night. That made me happy

Happy Homemaking!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this sweet post. I love the way you look at life. you have a beautiful heart and it's always a blessing to visit you.
    I'm also committed to simple living and nurturing a thankful heart. But these days I have a decorating itch and also wanting to have something new done in the house and in the yard. Thanks for the tips.

    Many blessings to your home from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruth for your kind words. I also love to visit you. Happy Anniversary by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Laura!
    TRULY, you deserve the award that awaits you over on benmakesten!
    Thank you for your encouragement and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...