February 17, 2010

Today for Tomorrow

It's such a beautiful day!

The sun is shining and the grass is a gleaming emerald green. All this golden warm glow is making our yard - even the muddy driveway - look so happy and alive. The children could not be held in. They are outside running and prancing about like puppies.

The tulips are two inches high and there is much promise for Spring. I'm thinking of putting a flower box under the window with some sort of hanging flower (perhaps clematis or simple morning glories) to add more dimension to the tulip bed.

Mr. Santos will be home soon for lunch. I have a warm vegetable soup ready for him with corn tortillas and chunks of sharp El Salvadorean cheese. The jalapenos have been roasted and the coffee pot is ready.

Join me in Giving Thanks to God for these simple things. Big changes are on the horizon. We don't know what tomorrow will bring, but for each day, sunny or not, there is something to be thankful for.



Last night, I was thinking on my oldest daughter. She will only be a little girl for another year or so, maybe two. Then, changes will come as she miraculously turns into a woman. Why not let her giggle a little more? Why not let her creations be a little crooked? or let her wear those silly clothes that don't match? She thinks it's the most divine outfit in the world. There is plenty of time for her to be "grown-up." Is it really my job to point out flaws? No, I will love my girl a little more. Time is so short.

Mr. Santos, my Mr. Political, is the resident professor of Current Events and World History. It is customary in our house to listen to Professor Santos lecture on the state of our times or what sort of impact Chavez, or Obama, or whoever is having on our world. Well, even if Mr. Santos wasn't so up on the times, it's pretty hard not to see that life in the United States is changing. There is a possibility that the few freedoms we have today will be gone tomorrow. It's already against the law in many places to even EAT what we want. But what can I do? What am I supposed to do?

That they (Older women) may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Titus 2:4-5

Well, I can make my home a pleasant place to be. I can make good nutritious food and open the door to beautiful art for my children. We can be hospitable while we have the opportunity ~ especially to fellow believers. I can smile and then smile some more. I can flood the minds and hearts of my children with scripture. What I do today will have an impact on tomorrow.

I look back to yesterday. Was it a day full of rebukes and frowns and irritability? Was I fearful and angry? Yesterday? Nope. It was nice. But that is not always my answer. Just this morning, my Naomi was too wiggly at the breakfast table and fell off her chair. She landed on her head and her feet were up in the air where her head should have been. For a brief second, we all stared at her green striped socks bending over her bowl of oatmeal.

Would I laugh or scold? The children looked at me and I smiled as I shook my head. Daddy laughed and the whole table was full of giggles. "Sit straight, Naomi." and it was over.


I don't think we should live today like there is no tomorrow. Maybe we should be living today for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Santos,

    You have such a positive and godly perspective on life. I wish I could be more like that . . . I wish I could visit you in person some day. You sound like such a lovely lady. :)

    ~Mrs. Lady Sofia~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Lady Sofia~ You are so kind! I would love to meet you in person too. I don't have a positive and Godly perspective naturally ~ I work at it. The only thing that helps is God's Word - but not just reading it, obeying it.

    I like your white rose...Roses are my favorite flower.

    Love,
    Mrs. Santos

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...