December 18, 2009

The last weekend before Christmas


Christmas as a day in the calendar comes in its season, whatever our response may be. God sends it, like his sunshine and his rain, on the evil and the good, on the just and the unjust. But Christmas in its divine meaning will become real to us only as it reenacts itself in our own experience. An old seventeenth-century poet, Angelus Silesius,
writes:—

“Though Christ a thousand times
In Bethlehem be born,
If he’s not born in thee,
Thy soul is still forlorn.

“The cross on Golgotha
Will never save thy soul,
The cross in thine own heart,
Alone can make thee whole.”
(from Christmas Making by J.R. Miller - one of my new favorite authors)

4 comments:

  1. I have a JR Miller book called Homemaking that I haven't read yet.

    I really liked the quote you shared. (o:

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Santos...You might enjoy knowing that there is a link to the entire Homemaking text by Mr. JR Miller in the lower left hand sidebar of BENMAKESTEN! I could read it over and over and over again...SUCH beauty, elegance, and WISDOM in his words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Michele ~ Merry Christmas to you too. I have only read snippets of the Homemaking book...I like to take time to "soak it in" when I read something rich. Thank you for your visit. Hug the dogs for us (actually for Naomi - age 6)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy~ I'm glad you like JR Miller too. I'm currently working on his Secrets to a Beautiful Life. It is very good, but as I told Michele, I'm going slow. :) Say hi to the family from us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...