August 12, 2009

Perilous Times

The other night Noah came into our room because of a bad dream. "Momma, I dreamed we were in a Hairacane" I let him sleep with us for a few minutes. That same night, around two a.m., Sophia woke up. "Mom, I can't sleep. I feel worried." Hmm. "Well, let's pray and then go back to sleep." I noticed Mr. Santos had gotten up to turn on the fan. Later in the night, he got up to turn it off. He wasn't sleeping very well. With all the sleeplessness in the family, I was up quite a bit too. Several airplanes flew overhead. That was unusual for our area and for the time of night. Naomi slept soundly but very heavy. In the morning I shook her, "Naomi, wake up." She wouldn't wake. There was an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I shook her hard and yelled "NAOMI! WAKE UP!" She woke with a start and began crying. "Mommy why are you mad at me?"

Sophia said, "Mommy, is something going to happen today? I feel like something is going to happen - something bad."

"I don't think so, but let's pray," I said.

Do you ever get those bad feelings? Like the sky is falling or about to fall?

We did have a storm that day, a grey day filled with thunder. There was some tension in the family because we were all so tired. There were last minute "issues" to deal with. Mr. Santos was getting his final term paper written, I was faxing documents to our Taxpayer advocate, and trying to return some phone calls, but all in all we had a normal day. The sun came out and nothing bad happened outside of a few bad attitudes.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 Timothy 3:1

What kind of perilous times? Are these the last days?

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power therof: from such turn away.

What a list.
What a perilous time.
Don't you think we are already there?

For men shall be lovers of their own selves...

It's easy to think this means other people - "Yep. We are in the last days. Everybody is so in love with themselves..." But I see our own Santos Times struggle with this daily. I also see this in the church when families stick to themselves and do not invest time and energy in the body.

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks...
"I don't want to." "I just want..." "Will you give me more..." "Why can't I have just a little..." "I want..." "I just want a..." Did I mention "I want..."

I sit back and listen to my children talking to each other. I listen to the comments made by me to Mr. Santos - to the comments he makes to me. It only takes one wrong turn to get off track. One day we're driving down the straight and narrow - living Holy lives - and the next we are on some wide and easy street with lots of activity and company. Little do we know that we are headed for destruction.

How do we stay on the narrow path - the ancient path? Jeremiah 6:16

We walk. It is a narrow path and ancient. The Bible says "few are those who find it." I'm sure we won't be able to drive on it or find it by some convenient fast way. It will be slow going. One foot over the other. Thank God for his promise "...they will walk and not faint."


It's lonely. The path is narrow. I've noticed that sometimes we tend to put off holiness or thankfulness because no one else is doing it. We reason with ourselves "Well, it seems o.k. for SO-and-SO to dress like that, I guess I don't need to be so modest. They let their kids watch that show, it must be o.k."

God's word tells us over and over "...walk after the Lord" "do not walk after false gods" "do not walk after the customs of this world" "walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh" Another promise echoes in my heart "I will never leave thee or forsake thee."

Making plans for how you want to live life? Clearly, we do not make our own paths. We FIND the strait and narrow - however, few are those who find it - and then we FOLLOW after the Lord. He leads the way. When we get off track, it is because we are not following.


In the last days, perilous times shall come for men will be lovers of self...

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Jeremiah 6:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...