June 03, 2009

No Wanting, No Wishing, Just thankful

We have a new rule in our house and it is hard to live by. However, if this Santos clan can get it down, so that it becomes second nature, I think there will be a lot of good fruit growing from our family.

~the rule~


You may not use the words "I want..." or "I wish..." These words are little friends that take our hands and lead us down the road of discontent. Instead we say "May I have..? or "wouldn't it be nice to...?" or "I really like..."


~oOo~

I want to decorate my little apartment - I mean, I like to decorate my apartment. I am always rearranging and trying new things to make this place feel bigger and more inviting for my family and guests. Most of our friends have large families and I want - I mean, I hope to make them feel at ease and not cramped.


So anyway, I moved our computer into a little coat closet that we have. We don't have enough floor space for a desk so it works to be able to close it off - out of sight. This meant finding a new place to hang coats and store shoes and accessories. I put the coats in our room closets (kids in their room and ours in our room) That worked out fine, but where would I put the shoes and other stuff? Each room closet also had a dresser in it so there was no neat area for shoes.

Well, I had the perfect answer. I saw the cutest, most adorable, antique piece of furniture. I don't know what it is called. It's one of those thingies with a mirror and hooks and a little table for putting your keys and mail, a hole for umbrellas, a few shelves for shoes. PERFECT. I loved it. I told my husband, "Husband, I want this thingy. Come look at it with me." He came and while we looked at it, I also saw a cute entry way bench (with storage). They matched! Of course, we don't have an entry way - our place is too small, but I could see great possibilities. "Oh husband! I want that too!"


Together they would have only cost a couple hundred dollars, (maybe more) but the cuteness and the space savings was worth it. I know he wanted to buy it for me. But he rocked back and forth on each foot and I knew that I had to choose...I couldn't have both. I prayed to the Lord, the giver of all good things. "Lord, you know what I want, YOUR will be done. Help me to be a good steward of the money you give our family." I decided to wait until the next day. I would go home, measure the space and see what would work best.

The next day, I walked into the store with my three children. I had decided on the bench because it offered the most storage, plus extra seating. I was so excited. I love getting new things. NO! The bench had been sold! What a disappointment. I really wanted that bench. Well, a little upset, I went to go buy the thingy - but it turned out it didn't fit the measurements I made the night before and offered very little storage anyway. I would not be a wise purchase - a fun one, a cute one - but not a wise one.

I got back in the van and in front of my children and everything I wailed "I just want my house to be CUTE!" Am I not the good example of thankfulness or what? I took the want out of my statement. "It would be nice if my house was cute."


From the back of the van three voices called out in unison "It IS cute mom. We love our house!"


I came home, took an old vinyl bookshelf I was going to toss and painted it with some left over white paint. I found a pretty scrap of material in my quilting bin, sewed it up into a curtain and stuck it across the front with some heavy duty Velcro. It turned out to be a great place for our shoes - clean and neat and cute too.


I am VERY happy with the results and learning to be content - it's much easier when I don't say those deceitful words "I want..."

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Col 3:15

5 comments:

  1. WOW. What a great post. I am going to talk to Joseph about doing this too. Thanks for the blog Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is cute!!! I love it! I too try to make our house cute and comfortable. Usually using what we have too. :) Contentment..you said it. I guess God worked out what you would use for this purpose didn't He? He knew one would be sold and the other not fit. :) But he provided you with an alternative to use. And it is sooo cute pretty! Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks Ladies for your comments and the encouragement. Your comments make blogging so much more fun.

    Jody, nice meeting you and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your resourcefulness is encouraging : ) Being content is sometimes a daily battle. Your shoe rack turned out great! Love ya, Kacee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...