June 26, 2009

Peace to you

The Santos Times have been different lately. I don't know what it is. I am a little wary of it all being careful to remember "the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." 1peter 4:7. What is the difference? PEACE. Peace that passes understanding.

When I was at the Ladies Retreat recently, one of the speakers quoted from a little book called "The Indwelling Life of Christ" by Major W. Ian Thomas. (I have not yet read the book, but hope to soon) The quote was "Our life should demand a supernatural explanation."

This comment really struck me and I couldn't get it out of my mind. How does my life demand a supernatural explanation? Am I just living my life with Christianity as an extra thing? The family across the street plays baseball. Our other friends are really into music. And us, we go to church. Is is just a thing we do or does it encompass my whole life? Is there any difference between me and the next gal who doesn't know Jesus like I do? Does the 'supernatural explanation' only come in light of trials and suffering?

Constant thankfulness - especially in light of trials and suffering - is what will demand a supernatural explanation.

I am tempted every day to worry and fuss. I have to clean this or that, we need to drive here and there, I've got to call her and them. Not to mention all the BIG things that come into our lives: illness, financial stress, loneliness.

The Bible tells us to "rejoice in the Lord, always, and again I say rejoice." It's kind of like the 'glad game' in Pollyanna. I can almost always find SOMEthing to be glad about. But the verse says rejoice IN THE LORD. No matter what it is I have to face, I can rejoice in the Lord. This demands supernatural explanation.

When life is hard or overwhelming how do we rejoice in the Lord?

Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philipians 4:6-7


"Lord, I don't know what to make for dinner. Will you help me to figure it out? Thank you for all that you provide. Thank you for our table and the pretty tablecloth I own. Thank you for those green branches and the roses growing outside. What a pretty centerpiece it will make as I set the table."

"Lord, I miss my husband. He is always busy and distracted. Will you help me to connect with him? Thank you that he comes home every night. Thank you that I can look forward to sleeping next to him. Thank you for the children we love and that he works to provide for us."

"Lord, this mess is so big and smelly. I feel I will never get it all cleaned up. There are other things I want to do. There are other things that I NEED to do. Help me Lord. Thank you for the water and the dish rags and the soap. Thank you for my hands and arms and legs to get this done. Thank you for the sound of the rain and all the green that surrounds me because of that rain. What a beautiful day it is Lord."

"Lord, I am hurting. I can hardly move. My back hurts, my shoulders hurt, my head hurts. Please take away my pain. Thank you Lord for this time that we get to be together. I know that I never forget about you when I am in pain. Thank you that you never leave me or forsake me. Help me to think about the things you want me to think about since there is nothing I can actually do at the moment, but lay here."

"Lord, they hurt me. I don't want to forgive them. I am so mad. Please help me. Lord Jesus, thank you for enduring the cross. Thank you for submitting even to death on the cross for me. Thank you for forgiving me and taking my place. Thank you for helping me to forgive."

Little by little, as we take it all to the Lord, giving thanks, our lives eventually demand a supernatural explanation. It is a peace that passes all understanding. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...