March 04, 2009

At the Back of the North Wind



The children and I are reading one of my favorite authors - George MacDonald. I am so happy to share him with them as he has had such a huge impact on my life. In fact, it is because of him that I visited Scotland all by myself (at 22 years old) for two weeks. I visited the highlands he wrote so much about and sat at the cliffs and felt the wind in my hair. While I was sitting on the cliffs one morning in Scotland, I saw a huge yacht come around the bend followed by a great navy ship. It was the Queen of England coming to the small Scottish village on her annual 'rounds'. How fun! I was there in the receiving line and got to shake her hand and the Queen Mum's hand as they left their yacht to come 'be with the peasants'.

Anyways, I haven't read this great book all the way through and I am having a hard time with just one chapter at a time...I want to read ahead! Even the children want to keep going, but the language is heavy and so we are going slow so that they understand.

The book is about a young boy named Diamond and his adventures with the beautiful and mysterious North Wind. Here is an excerpt:

He trembled so at the thunder that his knees failed him, and he sank down at North Wind's feet and clased her round the column of her ankle. She instantly stooped and lifted him from the roof - up - up into her bosom and held him there, saying, as if to an inconsolable child: "Diamond, dear, this will never do."

"Oh yes, it will," answered Diamond. "I am all right now - quite comfortable, I assure you, dear North Wind. If you will only let me stay here, I shall be all right, indeed."

"But you will feel the wind here, Diamond."

"I don't mind that a bit, so long as I feel your arms through it," answered Diamond, nestling closer to her grand bosom.

"Brave boy!" returned North Wind, pressing him closer.

"No," said Diamond. "I don't see that. It's not courage at all, so long as I feel you there."

"But hadn't you better get into my hair? Then you would not feel the wind; you will here."

"Ah, but dear North Wind, you don't know how nice it is to feel your arms about me. It is a thousand times better to have them and the wind together than to have only your hair and the back of your neck and no wind at all."

"But it is surely more comfortable there?"

"Well, perhaps; but I begin to think there are better things than being comfortable."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I love your blog and catching up with what's going on in your life! Your writing inspires me to dig deeper with my Lord & to TRUST him with my kids. This is one of my favorite books. . . you've also inspired me to pick it up again & start reading it to my kids. It's been way too long since I've curled up with George McDonald!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI M.! How nice to know you visit! I'm glad you like the blog and George MacDonald. It will be fun knowing you are doing the same in your house as we are in ours...Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...