February 03, 2009

Self-inflicted Suffering

I've been having some hard days lately. Fear, pain, doubt. Bad things have been happening around me, but in the midst of all the turmoil I have realized that much of my suffering is because of my pride. I wish - oh how I wish - I could continue to point my finger. True, I am suffering. I have been wronged. But even in these circumstances it is possible to have Peace that passes understanding - to rejoice and be glad - unless...

Unless you are filled with pride.

I came across this poem today that reveals the true state of my suffering.

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your
God-given destiny...
because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...
because you "deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...
because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing...
because you're too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...
because you refuse to admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...
because you'd rather look in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of a genuine friendship...
because nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...
because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...
because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking
out for you. Untrue. I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me You'll never know.
~Beth Moore

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mamapua...that is comforting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very humbling poem. There are many transitions going-on in my life as well, and I wonder if my suffering is also due to pride; not allowing God to have His will, but letting my will prevail.

    I prayed for you the other night, but it looks like I still have my work cut-out for me (smiles). I hate to admit Mrs. Santos, but I am not the "praying woman" that I should be. I'm still learning to be the help meet to my husband that I am NOT. I have SO many things to learn. I hope that you can forgive me of my short comings.

    Anyway, take care, and may God release some of your stress and anxieties.

    P.S. I haven't forgotten about you (smiles).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Lady Sofia:

    There is nothing to forgive! :) We are to provoke one another on to love and good works...so keep going and do not grow weary in well doing for in due season you shall reap if you faint not.

    Thank you for thinking of me and I got your e-mail :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...