February 25, 2009

Homemaking Happiness

It is so much better to focus on what we want to BECOME rather than what we want to AVOID Becoming. Instead of trying not to be lazy or angry or ungrateful, just BE thankful and diligent and beautiful. You'll get along much better and make a lot more progress.


But it should be understood that for every wife the first duty is the
making and keeping of her own home. Her first and best work should be done
there, and till it is well done she has no right to go outside to take up other
duties. She is to be a “worker at home.” She must look upon her home as the one
spot on earth for which she alone is responsible, and which she must cultivate
well for God if she never does anything outside. For her the Father’s business
is not attending Dorcas societies, and missionary meetings, and mother’s
meetings, and temperance conventions, or even teaching a Sunday school class,
until she has made her own home all that her wisest thought and best skill can
make it. There have been wives who in their zeal for Christ’ work outside have
neglected Christ’s work inside their own doors. They have had eyes and hearts
for human need and human sorrow in the broad fields lying far out, but neither
eye nor heart for the work of live close about their own feet. The result has
been that while they were doing angelic work in the lanes and streets, the
angels were mourning over their neglected duties within the hallowed walls of
their own homes. While they were winning a place in the hearts of the poor or
the sick or the orphan, they were losing their rightful place in the hearts of
their own household. Let it be remembered that Christ’s work in the home is the
first that he gives to every wife, and that no amount of consecrated activities
in other spheres will atone in this world or the next for neglect or failure
there ~ Homemaking by J.R. Miller



Me in my work dress. I like working in this dress because it has pockets, easy to move around in, stain/wrinkle resistant, and if I have to run out to the store or the library I look presentable.


My best friend. I love you friend. Friend, what would I do without you? Have I told you lately how much I love you? You are my best friend.


We lived for about 3 months without a washing machine (3 years ago). During that time I was toting the children and the laundry to the laundromat in the rain or the night (we only had one car-so had to be when the Mr. came home). What a blessing and a convenience we often take for granted.

My in-laws still prefer cooking with fire (more familiar) even though they now have electricity in their part of the country. I am thankful that all I have to do is turn a knob and not go gather kindling for cooking. Do you know that much (if not most) of the world does not have the conveniene of a stove/oven for cooking their food?

This little friend and helper keeps me sane when I get overwhelmed. It's the neverending dishes that sometimes get to me - but Daisy the dishwasher is always there to say - "Just pass 'em to me and I'll get em clean and dry."




My little indulgence. Dusting wouldn't get done around here without these babies.


And of course, everything is more fun with three happy munchkins around to pitch-in.
I would like to thank Lady Lydia for another great post on homemaking and reminding us about being thankful and diligent in our work. Also, the J.R. Miller book is a GREAT read for you Christian wives and mothers. I am loving it.

7 comments:

  1. I have heard of that book, but not yet read it. Great excerpt!
    And your babies are precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you have a car named Daisy once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Lindblom:
    Thank you for visiting! I just started following your blog - was especially encouraged by "in His Shadow" Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa:

    I once had a big blue boat of a car that I named "Queen Jane" - so NO, I never had a car named Daisy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Santos,

    Now I see there is another Lady Sofia out there in Blog Land (smiles).

    I liked this post about being thankful for the "luxuries" we as homemakers have in order to help us get the cleaning done in our home. The only "luxury" I don't have are those dusting wipes. Are those expensive? If not, I'm going to have to ask my hubby if we can put them in our budget (smiles).

    Lastly, I have read the book, "Homemaking" J.R. Miller. I read it last summer. It's a delightful book. I had some difficultly with the small print, but I still found it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the best french onion soup... I actually cooked with onions ( a new habit of mine... get some whenever I buy produce) and with red wine! Michael loved it and I had enough to freeze for another day too... and I couldn't believe my eyes, but Mosely was slurping and chewing on onions like they were candy. The hard work was worth watching my family enjoy the meal so much. I actually ate it too. hee hee. Here's to homemaking with love. oh, mike said I could get a dyson someday soon. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Lady Sofia- no they are not expensive - under $2.00 - a good investment for me :)

    Cheri: Whatever made you want to make a soup made out of onions?! I guess if you liked it then I might like it - you'll have to give me the recipe - do you still have one of those robot vacuums?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...