January 27, 2009

Life without T.V.

The kids ALWAYS do a sign - occasionally there are tickets and programs if they get really into it. They decide the whole thing and then Mr. Santos and I are invited to watch. For most of their plays, I am the only live audience member (can't count the rows of stuffed animals as true attendees)
Two damsels in distress. The fearless knight attacking the fierce dragon.

The knight bowing to the princess after receiving his payment of "Gold" (a little bag full of pennies)


All the players - including the dead dragon.



We don't have a television - but this doesn't keep us from getting distracted with movies or being online too much. It truly takes discipline, maybe even a schedule, and definitely a clear idea of Priorities to stay away from this sort of amusement.

I read in another blog an article highlighting the literal definition of AMUSE.

A: negative, against (as in atheist)
Muse: to think or consider. So to be amused is to not think or consider...hmm.
Websters says: Amuse: Occupy in an agreeable, entertaining or pleasant fashion.

How much time does our family spend each day in amusing ourselves? I don't know. Let's see, what do we do just for amusement?

Play games
Put on plays
Read
Watch movies
Bake
Paper Crafts
Listen to music
Dance
Sew
Make/design costumes
Write stories
Read blogs
Write blogs
Crochet
Eat - should I admit to that one?

These things aren't so bad, are they? I mean the kids are learning skills. We are tying strings. They are using their imagination in most of them if not actually learning. We are creating family memories, traditions and heirlooms. But, I think we could go further - It would be so much nicer if even our amusements could be for the sake of Building God's Kingdom.

Play games - to help us memorize scripture or to build character
Put on plays - that share the good news
Read - the Bible
Watch movies - does the movie help you to draw closer to the Lord, be a better mother, parent, helper, etc.? Is it really worth 1 - 3 hours of our time?
Bake - for the neighbors, to bless another family.
Paper Crafts - to give to friends, to mail to grandparents, to decorate a lonely persons' refrigerator.
Listen to music - to praise the Lord (He inhabits the praises of His people)
Dance - to praise the Lord, to draw closer to my husband, to make the little ones happy
Sew - for the glory of God and not for my own glory.
Make/design costumes - in the same way - for the glory of God and not for our own "look at me!"
Write stories - that lift up and praise virtue and strong biblical principles - not just adventure or romance.
Read blogs - We can pray asking the Lord which blogs He would have us read
Write blogs - from my heart with love for our readers
Crochet - for the glory of God, or for a gift.
Eat - just for fun? No - not a good thing at all.

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Santos,

    This was a good post. I like how you related the activities that you do during the day and turned them into getting closer to and glorifying the Lord. I am just now learning that we are to glorify and enjoy God forever; it's really not just about ourselves.

    However, I don't think it's a "sin" to do some recreational activities, "just for fun" (as long as they are decent).

    Lastly, I enjoyed the pictures of your children performing a play. That is cute, and yes, you can count the "stuffed animals." Why not? (smiles) I used to play school with the stuffed animals as the students when I was a child. LOL

    Anyway, take care, and I will email you as soon as I can (smiles). May God continue to bless and take care of your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Lady Sofia! Nice to hear from you, as always. Thanks for your comment about it not being a sin to 'just have fun'. I guess my post could leave that impression.

    And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it [is] the gift of God. Ecc 3:31

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to evaluate every now and again why you are doing what you're doing. I love the play! My kids spent time creating things in the living room when they were little also. So precious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...