October 21, 2008

Meeting Strangers

I was the only person not related. Brenda had invited her parents, her husbands parents, and her sister who brought her husband and his three daughters. With a few more kids, that made fifteen people there - not counting me. It wasn't Christmas. Just a movie night - and my suggestion. We were together to eat a bunch of raw food and watch the movie "Food Matters". After the movie, I would show them the product Body Balance.

I met Emily right away. She was wrapped up in a grey hooded sweatshirt. I never did get to see her hair - just her smile. She talked a lot and I remember her lips were full and her skin was clear. Eleven years old.

Michaela was playing with her cousins. I didn't meet her. She did, however, lay at my feet during the whole movie. I had to get up a couple times for this or that so I stepped over her body. We smiled at each other. Ten years old.

Katelyn was the oldest. Thirteen. She wore dark eye liner. She came into the kitchen where I was and bit into a cucumber slice. I made some joke about raw food and she laughed. I looked deep in her eyes and felt a desire to hug her. Instead, I smiled. We didn't know each other. She was thirteen. One doesn't just HUG a stranger.

Leonard and Sabrina. They lived in Graham. Wow, we almost moved to Graham. How was it over there? We talked about the commute and what they did for a living. Hard working people. Leonard (whom everyone called Lenny) spent most of the evening with his girls. He had his arms around one or the other. Sabrina, the step-mom and Brenda's sweet sister, hugged people a lot. Maybe it wouldn't have been weird for me to hug Katelyn.

How lovely to see another family interact! There were lots of smiles and pats on the back. Talk about tomatoes and fruit trees...canning. Hugs and jokes. Everyone ate up the refreshments I brought. I was glad since I was the outsider.

We put the movie in. I thanked Ron and Brenda for hosting the movie night and for everyone taking time out to watch it.

It's strange now looking back. The movie night had been postponed for Leonard and Sabrina. They couldn't make it the week before. Had we not delayed the event, I would never have met them and their three daughters. I would never have looked into some dark lined eyes or met a man with two stud earrings who loved his daughters. I would never have met Sabrina before...before the...

I left early, leaving the family to enjoy the rest of the evening. I would follow up later with those interested in Body Balance. It was late and I prayed for safety for the way home. I remember thinking about Leonard and Sabrina - They would probably spend the night at Brenda's. If they didn't spend the night then they would have a long drive home. What a family - to drive almost two hours just to see a movie about nutrition - to spend time together. This made me miss my own family in California. I missed them knowing that they were gathered together at the hospital dealing with the grief of losing Auntie Nina.

The rest of the story I heard from a friend. It was also on the news. Leonard and Sabrina did not spend the night at Brenda's. They drove home. They went to sleep. There was an explosion heard. A fire. The parents got out. Lenny was on the ladder trying to get to the girls when the fire department got there. The flames were too high - too hot. The roof collapsed. The girls could not be saved. They were lost. Gone.

Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, REDEEMING THE TIME. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Col 4:2-6


I don't understand all this.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 1Peter 3:15

Dear Lord,

Please comfort this family. Please provide for their needs and draw them unto yourself. Help them in their time of need. Help them to see you as their Rock, thier Redeemer, their high tower. Help us to have wisdom and discernment in ministering to them. Give them Hope, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting the Times and sharing your thoughts. We love visitors and hope that you have enjoyed your time with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...